|2014 LDDP Seminar Descriptions|
SESSION 1: IS A LEADER IN YOU WAITING TO BE DISCOVERED?
This session increases your awareness of the leadership role and gives you the opportunity to discover whether it is a role worth pursuing.
• Discover the value of leadership and why you might become a leader.
• Learn how others pursued formal leadership roles in their school districts.
• Identify the mission and vision of leadership. What is the real focus and purpose of administrators at your school or district?
• Find out about various roles of leadership that may fit your skills and ambition.
• Learn why working with a mentor is important and how you can find the right mentor for you.
SESSION 2: TEACHER LEADERS AS ADVOCATES FOR CHANGE
This session provides insight on how teacher leaders can be powerful advocates for raising student achievement, closing the achievement gap and changing building culture.
• Determine how teachers can be advocates for effective instruction and equality of curriculum in school buildings and districts.
• Understand teacher leadership skills and strategies.
• Learn about some of the challenges of being a teacher leader.
• Find out how to strengthen your own and your school’s cultural proficiency as a teacher leader.
SESSION 3: THE PROMISE OF LEADERSHIP
This session explores what it takes to be a good leader.
• Learn about the key qualities of education leaders and the missions that drive their success.
• Reflect on whether leadership contributes to your professional passion.
• Learn what research says about great leadership.
• Discuss the unique challenges for leaders of color and how to learn from role models.
• Identify pathways to building and district leadership.
• Know how to promote cultural proficiency through leadership decisions.
• Gain perspective on how to land an administrative position, including learning about the screening process and interviewing.
SESSION 4: DISCOVERING THE SKILLS, QUALITIES, AND TOOLS IT TAKES TO BE A SCHOOL LEADER
This session identifies the key skills, qualities and tools of effective school leaders. You will have the opportunity to:
• Develop knowledge of leadership opportunities and assess how those align with your skills, experiences, and professional goals.
• Initiate your exploration of the values and core beliefs that inform your leadership style and outlook.
• Identify common misconceptions about leadership and gain a clearer understanding of the qualities of effective leaders.
• Broaden your awareness about different leadership styles and recognize areas of focus to help realize your potential.
• Learn more about the connection between great leaders and emotional intelligence.
SESSION 5: WHAT’S NEXT? DEVELOPING AN ACTION PLAN
This session helps bring you to a decision point. If you decide to pursue a leadership role, you will have the opportunity to:
• Draft an action plan to gain more leadership experience as a teacher leader.
• Draft an action plan to put you on the pathway to an administrative leadership position.
• Identify training and education requirements you need to become a successful leader.